Friday 3 December 2010

Exercise Two: Voodoo Dungeon - Completed


The next project I completed was the second half of Exercise Two, my Legend of Zelda dungeon based around the Carry/Voodoo Ball. The Voodoo Dungeon is a a three floor level, the objective being to reach the end boss like other Zelda dungeons. There are mini-objectives to reach this main objective, the most important being the capture of the Houngan's with the Voodoo Ball and carrying them to the main hall before firing them into the giant masks mouth.

The level is presented over three A3 sheets, one sheet per floor of the dungeon. Each floor has its only 2D top down perspective map with a key for all the icons and a 3D room layout of the more complex environments (usually rooms with puzzles). My main focus of this level was to show how versatile the one mechanic I added could be to the gameplay. There are various different uses for the Voodoo Ball demonstrated in both combat and puzzle solving. To keep things fresh I also tried to make sure the rest of the mechanics (hookshot, bow etc) were used in conjunction with my own concepts. As with God of War, a typed level walk through will be attached with the level designs with an in depth explanation of every room, puzzle and environment description. 

Conclusion: This brings Exercise Two to a close. Zelda was a very different type of game to design for compared to God of War. With Zelda I had to think alot more about the environments and puzzles rather than the combat mechanics. Infact, I'd say besides the bosses I didn't even give the combat much consideration at all. Also worth mentioning is it was interesting to do visuals for the presentation on both these games. I used a Zelda-esque colour scheme of greens and yellows for the Voodoo Dungeon and an older, orange and brown pallet for God of War. I imagine if I had the chance to revise all the work on these levels I would change alot. I would especially have liked to add more hidden areas and clearly illustration for a few objects.



No comments:

Post a Comment